I used to live in a dormitory in Warsaw. Many times there was a problem with a DNS server. It was broken regularly and it was blooming ridiculous as the building was a property of a technical university.
Anyway, there was a problem with DNS on my own router. It occurred that Ubuntu automatically assigned primary DNS setting to my router and it was broken. I found the solution here: http://bit.ly/17tDSQG Then according to my "standard" procedure changed the DNS settings for my local connection: http://bit.ly/1dvAuuP and "voila" it worked. Facebook, Youtube, LinkedIn and some other big players could load their CSS files and other resources!
My current settings: