Tuesday 19 August 2014

GRE essay: Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.


Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.
Each and every person is unique and searches for the most appropriate path in her or his life. Some people have the impression that the educational system confines their abilities and talents whereas its cardinal purpose should be to broaden horizons and give a hand to students who are lost in the maze of choices. The educational institutions are not omniscient. The institutions ought to persuade and encourage students to identify and follow promising fields of study. Without any doubts, the institutions should not dissuade anybody.

Personally, I experienced this inappropriate approach to education a few times. When I was 12 years old, I had my first lessons on physics. To write the truth, my teacher was rather a sad person and even a bit curmudgeon. She discouraged many students from learning physics. Even though the situation was inauspicious, generally I was interested in different experiments and the coursebook was the most pragmatic among all my books in that time. Once our teacher called me for an oral exam. I knew formulas and was able to answer most of her questions but it was not sufficient for her. She simply chastised me for a lack of preparation and graded me unjustly. I was very disappointed. She recommended me to concentrate on other subjects. Next year, I went to a middle school and had another teacher. Contrary to my previous experience, this teacher was totally different. She was a bubbly and optimistic person. She put her trust in us and believed in our potential. As a matter of fact, three years later I reached the final of a physics contest in my voievodship.

Socially, not every person is a genius and aware of his or her talents. There are many role models in our society and some children can select one that is improper for them. For instance, when I was a child I admired Michael Jordan and wanted to emulate him. I used to play basketball every day for many hours. However, I understood that I was too short and would never be selected in an NBA draft. The essential problem was that there was no advisory board in my school that would assist children in the search for a sport in which they could attain a good outcome.

From the perspective of our history, we can find many examples of people who were able to succeed even though many preached doom and gloom about their future. Probably, the best example is Albert Einstein. His teachers perceived him as a loafer and many of them predicted for him rather placid, humdrum and fruitless career path. As we all know, his story was diametrically different. Moreover, undoubtedly Walt Disney was one of the most prolific writer who altered the American animation industry. He was rejected by many editors and struggled with many problems. Nevertheless, his persistence and ingenuity allowed him to break the moulds and achieve a tremendous success. The same story can be narrated about Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Anthony Robbins and many others.

All in all, I fully disagree with the statement that educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. In my opinion, they should advise, inspire and encourage students to pick and choose suitable fields from a wide range of possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment